Arson charges in Colorado carry severe legal consequences, making it imperative to have a comprehensive understanding of the legal landscape and available defense strategies. Being accused of intentionally setting fire to property can be overwhelming and distressing, but with the right knowledge and legal guidance, you can effectively navigate the complexities of the criminal justice system. We aim to empower individuals facing these serious allegations by exploring key aspects of
If You’ve Been Arrested for Possession in Colorado, Contact Denver Drug Crimes Attorney Kimberly Diego
As you probably already know, Colorado laws regarding the possession and use of controlled substances have changed, as have the consequences for such a conviction. However, regardless of quantity levels that have changed or what class of misdemeanor you might face if charged with certain degrees of possession, the fact still remains that a conviction on possession of a controlled substance can still carry with it penalties that can negatively impact your current situation and your future. If you have been charged with possession of a controlled substance, you will want the protection, counsel, and representation that an experienced and knowledgeable criminal lawyer in Denver like Kimberly Diego can provide.
Kimberly Diego is a Colorado Drug Lawyer You Can Trust for Smart, Robust Defense Against Drug Possession Charges
Although many of the changes in Colorado law have resulted in circumstances which, in many instances, are more favorable for those who have been accused of possession of a controlled substance, that does not mean that such charges are without consequence if a conviction is obtained by the prosecution. In addition, regardless of the threshold quantities involved, there are still certain cases where whatever evidence exists may have been obtained by unlawful search or seizure. Given all of the variables that can exist and the possibility that any evidence that may have contributed to your arrest could be thrown out of court, it is important that you arrange for a consultation with Denver criminal attorney Kimberly Diego so that she can analyze your case and work with you to develop the best defense possible.
If the evidence against you was obtained in violation of your rights, Ms. Diego may be able to get that evidence suppressed. If that is the case, she will most likely be able to negotiate with the prosecuting attorney to have the charges against you dropped, or in certain circumstances, reduced. Even if your case goes to trial, however, you can rest assured that your defense attorney Kimberly Diego has the experience and expertise to treat you compassionately while aggressively protecting your rights and interests and seeking the most positive outcome available in your case.
Unlawful Use and Possession of a Controlled Substance Laws in Colorado Have Changed
- Unlawful use of a schedule I or II controlled substance has been reduced from a Class 6 felony to a Class 2 misdemeanor.
- Unlawful use of a schedule III, IV, or V controlled substance has been reduced from a Class 1 to a Class 2 misdemeanor.
- The threshold quantity for unlawful possession of a schedule I/II controlled substance has increased from one gram or less to four grams or less (except for methamphetamine, where the threshold quantity is two grams or less).
- There is no longer an automatic increase in felony offense class if the defendant has a prior conviction.
- Possession of Schedule III/IV/V has been reduced to a misdemeanor offense (Class 1).
- Marijuana possession of two ounces or less is now a petty offense.
- Marijuana possession of between two and six ounces is a Class 2 misdemeanor.
- Marijuana possession of more than six ounces but less than 12 ounces is now a Class 1 misdemeanor.
- Marijuana possession of more than 12 ounces is a Class 6 felony.
- A second conviction for marijuana possession does not carry mandatory elevation to felony class.
Call Kimberly Diego, Criminal Defense Lawyer in Denver, for a Free Consultation
When you need a criminal defense attorney who can provide you with high-quality legal representation and individualized, personalized service, defense lawyer Kimberly Diego provides that level of service to every client she represents. Whatever the criminal charges you are facing, in Ms. Diego you will have a defense attorney who believes that you have a right to a rigorous defense. To benefit from defense attorney Kimberly Diego’s vigorous attention to the law and commitment to clients, call 720.257.5346 for a free consultation or simply fill out the FREE CASE REVIEW form and a representative from the Law Office of Kimberly Diego will contact you as soon as possible.